Re: Concrete Mix for low permeability

Ron Martin wrote:

. > I can put waterproofing on the deck, but I was wondering if there was any
. > additive or concrete mix design  that would offer less permeability
. > should the waterproofing fail.  The client is doing some of his own
. > waterproofing work and therefore, I want to attempt to "adjust" for his
. > learning curve.

. > Thanks again.

. > Ron Martin
. > Tuscaloosa, AL

Ron,

Since the owner wants to do something him/herself, I would strongly recommend
to the owner that roofing be applied and remind him/her that concrete, in and
of itself, is not impermeable.  I am sure that the owner would hear you say,
"impermeable," when you actually say, "less permeable."  Probably best to
say, "All concrete leaks."  (If the client brings up "dams," you can explain
that is why dams have drainage galleries.)

In an event, I would avoid any concrete additives that contain calcium
chloride.  One additive that I am aware of that is touted by its manufacturer
as being a waterproofing agent for concrete has calcium chloride as its major
ingredient.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona