Re: Concrete Mix for low permeability

Ron -

When we do houses on the beach we use the following notes on our plans:
(Sorry about the formatting, it comes out of Word this way.)

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.

NOTES FOR CONCRETE IN A MARINE ENVIRONMENT

1. MINIMUM CONCRETE STRENGTH F'c SHALL BE 4000 PSI. (DESIGN CONCRETE STRENGTH
F'c = 3000 PSI)

2. A CALCIUM NITRATE CORROSION INHIBITOR, SUCH AS DCI-S MANUFACTURED BY W. R.
GRACE & COMPANY, SHALL BE ADDED TO THE CONCRETE MIX, AS PER THE
MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS.

3. A WATER-REDUCING POZZOLAN ADMIXTURE SHALL BE ADDED TO THE CONCRETE MIX AS
PER THE MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS.

4. THE CONCRETE MIX DESIGN SHALL BE DESIGNED BY A LICENSED ENGINEER AND
SUBMITTED TO THE STRUCTURAL ENGINEER FOR REVIEW PRIOR TO ITS USE.

5. ALL REINFORCING STEEL IN THE CONCRETE SHALL BE EPOXY COATED.

6. THE MINIMUM CONCRETE COVER OVER THE REINFORCING STEEL SHALL BE 4".

7. THE WATER-TO-CEMENT RATIO SHALL NOT EXCEED 0.40.

8. ALL CONCRETE TO BE PLACED BELOW THE WATER LEVEL SHALL BE PLACED BY A
TREMIE STARTING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE EXCAVATION.  AS THE CONCRETE RISES, THE
TREMIE SHOULD BE KEPT 12" BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE CONCRETE.

9. ALL OTHER CONCRETE AND REINFORCING STEEL NOTES SHOWN ON THESE PLANS SHALL
BE CONSIDERED VALID UNLESS SUPERSEDED BY THE NOTES ABOVE.