Re: nailing zones in plywood diaphragms

If you think about the layout for a minute, while the increase in diaphragm
shear is increasing linearly as you approach the line of support, the
increase in diaphragm capacity at the boundary between zones is more akin to
a step function.
If you move the transition point between nailing requirements an extra joist
line toward the center so that the capacity envelope is comfortably above
the demand diagram, the nailing at the transition is not critical. By the
time the demand increases to the requirements of the more restrictive
nailing, the diaphragm nailing pattern will uniformly meet the more
restrictive requirements.
The edge nailing at the transition would be just that, edge nailing. I would
not consider this "boundary nailing", as it is not the boundary of the
effective diaphragm.

My $0.02 worth.

Paul Feather PE
San Diego, CA