Uniform Licensing Requirements?

I pulled this letter from the NCEES web site.  Does anyone have an opinion for or against uniform licensing requirements throughout the United States?

I was encouraged to write this letter from the President of the NCEES. I wrote to him about my experience with the rules of each state regarding professional engineering reciprocity.

I took the PE exam in April of 1995. This was 1 month short of 4 years of engineering experience, but my home state of Minnesota allows internship experience to count toward work experience. They allowed me to take the exam and I passed and received my license in June of 1995.

I have since gained reciprocity in four other states without a problem. I then applied for reciprocity in the state of North Dakota and was denied because "you took the test before you had 4 years of experience."

Even though I have been a licensed engineer for over 3 years without incident, because I was 1 month short of 4 years of experience, they denied me a license. I have now had to endure the hardship on myself, my family, and my workplace in order to worry about, study, and take the PE exam again just for the state of North Dakota.

I understand the need for rules regarding licensing of professional engineers, and I completely agree with enforcing them. However, why can’t states agree on the basic requirements for taking the exam? I would not have minded waiting 6 more months to sit for the exam if someone had told me I would have problems gaining reciprocity in the future. The state licensing boards are needed to protect the public. How is making me take the test again protecting the public? This problem is not unique to me - I know of two other co-workers who had to retake the exam for similar reasons.

Please standardize the experience requirements for all states so nobody has to endure taking the PE exam again after already passing it.

Shawn M. Whalen, P.E.
Minneapolis, MN

Mark Oakford, P.E., oakfordm(--nospam--at)RSEC.com
RSE Consulting, Federal Way, WA  98093-1417
T 253-927-6169   F 253-838-3823