Re: Dynamic loads on foundations

Maria,

There's an excellant 'how to' book on design of machine foundations that I
recommend you try to obtain.

S. Arya, M. O'Neill and G. Pincus, DESIGN OF STRUCTURES AND FOUNDATIONS FOR
VIBRATING MACHINES, Gulf Publishing Company, Houston, TX, 1979.

You may be able to analyze the gas turbine foundation as a rigid block type
foundation in which case this book will be very helpful.  However, you may
have to consider performing a harmonic analysis using a finite element
code.  It will depend on the foundation proportions which may be in the
realm where flexibility of the mat needs to be considered or the you may
find the turbine vendor requires certain checks on vibration limits that
are just not practical to perform by manual methods.

The book referenced above does include a chapter on computer analysis but
it is somewhat outdated.  There's another publication that should be of
some help but it primarily addresses elevated (table top) foundations for
steam turbine-generators.

ASCE Task Committee on Turbine Foundations, "Design of Large Steam
Turbine-Generator Foundations", American Society of Civil Engineers, NY,
NY, 1987.

This reference discusses more of the analysis methods, modeling techniques
and how to handle the multiple load cases that have to be considered.

Walt Sawruk
EQE International, Inc.
Shillington, PA

At 05:29 AM 30-04-1999 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I need to design foundations for some large equipment (a gas turbine
generator
for a power plant).  The thing weighs about 160 kips (800 kN), and is
subjected
to discrete dynamic loads at anchor points due to rotating equipment within
the
turbine.  It sits on a mat spread out over 900 sq ft (80 m2).  I also have to
design a few other smaller foundations that also have dynamic loading.  And
this thing is located in a seismic 3 and hurricane zone (Dominican Republic).
>  Does anyone know where I can get some guidance on how to design these
monsters, particularly with respect to dynamic loading.