RE: Uniform Licensing Requirements?

I have a nearly identical story with my home state of Illinois.  most of us
have opinions about whether uniform laws concerning licensing should be
uniform.  The simple fact is that it WON'T happen (see the earlier
dicsussion on "turf" from Mr. Greenlaw).  Not in our lifetimes at any rate.
 There has actually been great debate among the states as to whether it is
a "license" or a "registration".    And that's just for a PE where the
requirements and needs are fairly uniform.  Throw in SE and there is far
less agreement.
JDC

On Thursday, April 29, 1999 11:03 PM, Mark Oakford [SMTP:oakfordm(--nospam--at)RSEC.com]
wrote:
> I pulled this letter from the NCEES web site.  Does anyone have an
opinion for or against uniform licensing requirements throughout the United
States?

> I was encouraged to write this letter from the President of the NCEES. I
wrote to him about my experience with the rules of each state regarding
professional engineering reciprocity.

> I took the PE exam in April of 1995. This was 1 month short of 4 years of
engineering experience, but my home state of Minnesota allows internship
experience to count toward work experience. They allowed me to take the
exam and I passed and received my license in June of 1995.

> I have since gained reciprocity in four other states without a problem. I
then applied for reciprocity in the state of North Dakota and was denied
because "you took the test before you had 4 years of experience."

> Even though I have been a licensed engineer for over 3 years without
incident, because I was 1 month short of 4 years of experience, they denied
me a license. I have now had to endure the hardship on myself, my family,
and my workplace in order to worry about, study, and take the PE exam again
just for the state of North Dakota.

> I understand the need for rules regarding licensing of professional
engineers, and I completely agree with enforcing them. However, why can't
states agree on the basic requirements for taking the exam? I would not
have minded waiting 6 more months to sit for the exam if someone had told
me I would have problems gaining reciprocity in the future. The state
licensing boards are needed to protect the public. How is making me take
the test again protecting the public? This problem is not unique to me - I
know of two other co-workers who had to retake the exam for similar
reasons.

> Please standardize the experience requirements for all states so nobody
has to endure taking the PE exam again after already passing it.