RE: Beam cast on masonry wall

It seems a case of clearly incorrect construction procedure to transfer the
floor loads to infill masonry walls by pouring the beams directly over the
said walls. The load-path assumed in the frame analysis must be respected,
in any case. The argument referred to is illogical. In fact, we must ensure
that, even under long-term deflections, no load should "spill over" to
non-bearing elements.

Rizwan Mirza

    FWIW, we do this, here in Argentina, and I think in great part of Latin America.So, let me clear this up: the load path in our case is the wall (usually made out of clay bricks), and the so called "beams" and "columns", because of their shape and dimensions, are nothing else that a knot, something to tie the brick units together (as you know, mortar is not very strong and not very dependable either) when the earthquake attacks.  This is the case in one to two story buildings, and it is a very common residential construction practice.

        These "beams" and "columns" have a nominal minimum dimension of 9" x 9" and are reinforced with at least 4 8mm diameter bars, with 6mm diameter stirrups @8" o.c.

        And of course, you save a lot of props by casting the "beam" directly over the finished wall.

        Rodrigo Lema.