Re: Failure of Connection between Rafter and Ridge Beam

Mark,
Have you contacted the joist manufacturer about using a design requiring
compression in the I joist.  A few years ago I looked at using rafters that
transferred compression forces.  Trus Joist MacMillian indicated that their I
joists are not designed to be used in that manner due to buckling.  If the ridge
beam is supported by posts the joists should simple span between the walls and
the ridge.  No tie should be required in this application.
Jill Shuttleworth, P.E., S.E.
Sunnyside, WA