RE: LINUX

That's not true. Linux does NOT equal UNIX. Linux is a "Posix-compliant"
operating system which means it adheres to the rather loose standard of
UNIXes. It is properly called a "UNIX-like" OS.

Besides, there are many flavors of UNIX; all are hardware-specific. You
can't even say that because a program runs under UNIX it runs under all of
them. The program has to be compiled for a certain flavor (e.g. HP/UX, AIX,
SunOS, etc.)

> And, of
> course, UNIX
> software usually costs 3 to 10 times more than DOS/Windows software.

Well, that is true.

> SInce Linux has an X-Windows shell, X-Windows programs will
> (should) also
> run.

SHOULD, if they're compiled to run on the machine you're running it on. Of
course, an X-Window (they get really irritated if you add the "s") system
can run as a client to a server, which might be a different system
altogether, but we're getting away from the gist of his request.