Re: Seismic Upgrade ..... Appeal to those who created the code

________________
Dennis S. Wish PE
seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com

I'm kind of at a loss and frustrated as well. There have been many
suggestions for Lynn as well as to warn him of the potential liability of his
actions if he chooses to use his engineering judgement.
Remember who changed these codes - our fellow professionals. We may not agree
with the direction that these committees took and possibly they did not work
out all of the potential details and problems associated with these changes.
Now that their work has been published, it becomes code and we are forced to
follow it.
A bad code is still a bad code, but is protected as long as there is no
opposition to it.
Is it that we have no faith in our ability to act in numbers or are we
complacent, apathetic or just don't give a damn.
There have been many who voiced their opinions of the problems created by
this code. How many lurkers are there in the shadows who agree with the
discussion and simply have no desire to respond, voice an opinion or "make
waves" (the worst excuse I can think of).
Better yet, I would love to see some intelligent discussion from those who
made these changes and believe them to be in the best interest of the public
compared to working in a direction to improve construction quailty and assure
that the finished product reflects what we have designed.  If I'm wrong, I'd
love to know it and would happily back off and start defending the other side
of the issue.

I urge each of you to act upon your conviction. When the time comes that you
feel passionate about a section of code that is wrong, I'm sure you will
desire to have the support of your fellow members behind you to correct the
error.

Let me be clear that I don't specifically blame any of the engineers on the
committees who deveoped this code because I believe that they felt justified
in their work. I believe that they did not see the whole picture or felt that
the lobby on the side of the construction industry was unconquerable in our
ability to improve and correct the actual causes of failures discovered by
FEMA and other organizations after natural diseasters. Therefore, I think the
committee has the same problem we do. How to force compliance to a code that
forces observation and inspection compliance during construction. Rather than
fight the beaurocracy, we work from what we know best - code creation and
revision. Not the most cost effective approach to the problem.

I'll get off of your backs after this post. I'm frustrated that we, as a
unified professional community, sit back and take whatever is thrown at us
without consideration for our clients. Yet, we seem happy to take the abuse
from the Architectural and Construction industry as "overdesigners" and
money-mongers (until damage occurs then they are happy to attack our
insurance).

Someone has to take a stand and this is as good a time as any.

Done,
Dennis Wish PE