Re: Failure of Connection between Rafter

Just tossing it around.  I believe the rafter-plate connection as commonly
detailed for the transfer of shear to the diaphram provides an inherrent fixity
to transmit horizontal forces induced by the rafter and that these forces are
reconciled by the presence of the ceiling joist and chord ties.  Conventional
cut-roof configurations (how 'bout those hips...) certainly convey horizontal
forces due to gravity loads.  I have not witnessed a widespread practice to
specify framing hardware for the hip-ridge connections at the design vertical
load.  Apparently, 16d's have even more capacity when used at this location.

I would appreciate a "heads-up" if anyone has found a reference that explores
the resolution of these 'frame' (sloppy truss?) forces.