When does 97 UBC go into effect

About a month ago, I called the Oakland Building Department, and they told me that it could be as early as June 1, 1999. Is the date applicable to all CA Building Departments, or do the individual Building Departments determine the date?

Jeff Smith

Remember also that the 1997 UBC is applicable in California only to permit applications filed after June 30, 1999.  Permits filed before that date can use the 1994 UBC which could result in lower design forces.

Bob Bossi