Re: Seismic Upgrade prob. W/97 UBC

Dennis Wish wrote:

. > I have not joined ICBO or the many other organizations that help create
. > code changes and am at a disadvantage as to who, what and where we can
. > obtain the information we need until the final draft or the finished code
. > is presented to us.

Dennis,

You don't have to join ICBO to keep up with proposed code changes (at least
in the past).  All you have to do is subscribe to Building Standards and
indicate that you want to receive *all* parts of Building Standards with your
subscription.  The proposed change submittals, together with staff analyses,
are published in the November-December Part III of Building Standards.  After
the code development committee hearings, committee actions are published,
in the March-April Part III.  Then, any challenges to committee actions
are published in the July-August Part III.  I don't know if there is a faster
way to get the information, although I suspect that some people do manage it.

Unfortunately, in order to get your voice heard on any submittals, you *must*
attend the code development committee hearings, and if there is a challenge
that you want to support or oppose, you have to attend (and regi$ter for) the
annual meeting of ICBO.  For sole practitioners, this is very difficult
(and it would help if you were independently wealthy).  In fact, just reading
and studying the change submittals can take up a significant amount of your
time.  It is not unusual to have 3 or 4 change submittals for the same
section, each saying something different.  Then you can have submittals
(sometimes multiple submittals) that will rewrite entire chapters of the
UBC.  Then other submittals are intended to modify one section of one
chapter, but impacts on multiple other chapters as well, and the submittal
has to include changes to those chapters also.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona