From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 1999 12:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Analysis of OLD building

Dan,

If the building was built in the 1950's with *new* steel (as opposed to
salvaged steel), the steel should be A7, with a yield of 33 ksi.

If I read AISC's "Iron and Steel Beams" book correctly, the beam in question
is 24WF87 (CB241) with reference note 21.  On page 48, reference note 21
indicates that CB241 was manufactured by Carnegie, Illinois, or
Carnegie-Illinois and appeared in their 1933, 1934 or 1940 catalogs.

My 1956 AISC Manual shows a 24WF84 (24 X 9) and a 24WF90 (24 X 9), but no
24WF87 with slightly different properties from the 24WF87.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Dan Vines wrote:

. > I am performing a structural evaluation of some buildings constructed in
. > the the mid 1950's in the Denver area.  There is a beam designated
. > 24CB87# on the "as-built" drawings.  I have located the structural
. > properties for this shape in an AISC publication "Iron and Steel Beams
. > 1873-1952" but I can't seem to decipher this reference's nomenclature
for
. > determining what the material properties (fy) would have been.

. > It seems to be indicating that 1933 or 1934 ASTM specifications should
be
. > used, but this seems to pre-date my building (1956) too much.

. > Can anyone help??