Re: rigid plywood diaphragm??????

I start to wonder if the issue not in the apparent flexibility or ductility
in timber shear walls, but rather in the code prescription of handling it
one way or the other.  I received a copy of the UBC prescription for
reference and I note that

"Section 1930.6 Horizontal Distribution of Shear.  The design story shear,
Vx, in any story is the sum of the forces Ft and Fx above that story.  Vx
shall be distributed to the various elements of the vertical
lateral-force-resisting system in proportion to their rigidities,
considering the rigidity of the diaphragm.  See Section 1633.2 for rigid
elements that are not intended to be part of the lateral-force-resisting
systems.

Where diaphragms are not flexible, the mass at each level shall be assumed
to be displaced from the calculated center of mass in each direction a
distance equal to 5 percent of the building dimension at that level
perpendicular to the direction of the force under consideration.  The effect
of this displacement on the story shear distribution shall be considered.

Diaphragms shall be considered flexible for the purposes of distribution of
story shear and torsional moment when the maximum lateral deformation is
more than two times the average story drift of the associated story. This
may be determined by comparing the midpoint in-plane deflection of the
diaphragm itself under lateral load with the story drift of adjoining
vertical-resisting elements under equivalent tributary lateral load."

In other words isn't the code telling us to consider the diaphragm flexible
or rigid depending on the calculation being done?  Alternatively it seems to
be saying that WE should ascertain the "rigidity" and use that in our
boundary conditions assessments.  I may be misunderstanding it but I don't
see the code telling me how to determine whether the diaphragm element  is
rigid or not.  Hence the on-going discussion.  The same seems to be here in
Canada too.

Thor Tandy  P.Eng  MCSCE
Victoria BC
Canada