From: Randy Vogelgesang +ADw-rvogel+AEA-jps.net+AD4-
To: seaint+AEA-seaint.org +ADw-seaint+AEA-seaint.org+AD4-
Date: Tuesday, May 04, 1999 4:37 PM
Subject: Re: When does 97 UBC go into effect

+AD4-I was told today by a Building Official that while the local jurisdiction
+AD4-can adopt prior to July 1, they could not require the use of the 97 code
+AD4-prior to July 1.
+AD4-
+AD4-One of our local building departments adopted the 97 code on May 1, with
out
+AD4-advance notice.  I have a project that was to be submitted this week using
+AD4-the 94 code.
+AD4- Earlier I was assured by this same Official that the code would not be
+AD4-adopted until July 1.   Does anyone know if the Building Official can
+AD4-require the use of the 97 code prior to July 1.??
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4------Original Message-----
+AD4-From: Tom Liberty +ADw-picpc+AEA-2xtreme.net+AD4-
+AD4-To: seaint+AEA-seaint.org +ADw-seaint+AEA-seaint.org+AD4-
+AD4-Date: Tuesday, May 04, 1999 8:40 AM
+AD4-Subject: Re: When does 97 UBC go into effect
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4APg-The state of California mandate for adoption of the UBC is July 1, 1999.
+AD4APg-The state mandate is the enforcable date regardless of the local adoption.
+AD4APg-The state mandate does not include the administrative sections. If a local
+AD4APg-has not adopted the codes at the local level, they must still enforce the
+AD4APg-1997 UBC (1998 CBC).
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg------ Original Message -----
+AD4APg-From: Jeff Smith +ADw-smthengr+AEA-sirius.com+AD4-
+AD4APg-To: +ADw-seaint+AEA-seaint.org+AD4-
+AD4APg-Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 1999 8:11 AM
+AD4APg-Subject: RE: When does 97 UBC go into effect
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-
+AD4APgA+- I checked out the web page and it said:
+AD4APgA+- +ACI-At the November 18, 1998 California Building Standards Commission
+AD4APg-meeting,
+AD4APgA+- the Commissioners unanimously voted to establish July 1, 1999 as the
+AD4APgA+- effective date for the 1998 edition of the California Building Standards
+AD4APgA+- Code.+ACI-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- A while back I thought I read that the local building departments had so
+AD4APgA+- many days to adopt the 97 code after the state officially adopted the
+AD4APg-code.
+AD4APgA+- When I asked the building department, they apparently were not sure of
+AD4-the
+AD4APgA+- date that they would be enforcing the new code. Are engineers required
+AD4APgA+- use the new code on July 1, whether or not the building department is
+AD4APgA+- enforcing it?
+AD4APgA+- Thanks,
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- Jeff Smith
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- PS I will call back the building department.
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- -----Original Message-----
+AD4APgA+- From: Yousefi, Ben +AFs-mailto:Ben.Yousefi+AEA-ci.sj.ca.us+AF0-
+AD4APgA+- Sent: Monday, May 03, 1999 10:57 AM
+AD4APgA+- To: 'seaint+AEA-seaint.org'
+AD4APgA+- Subject: RE: When does 97 UBC go into effect
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- Please refer to the following site for the effective date in California
+AD4APgA+- http://www.bsc.ca.gov/bsc/BSCode.htm
+AD4APgA8-http://www.bsc.ca.gov/bsc/BSCode.htm+AD4-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- -----Original Message-----
+AD4APgA+- From: Jeff Smith +AFs-SMTP:smthengr+AEA-sirius.com+AF0-
+AD4APgA+- Sent: Monday, May 03, 1999 10:32 AM
+AD4APgA+- To: seaint+AEA-seaint.org
+AD4APgA+- Subject: When does 97 UBC go into effect
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- About a month ago, I called the Oakland Building Department,
+AD4APgA+- and they told me that it could be as early as June 1, 1999. Is the date
+AD4APgA+- applicable to all CA Building Departments, or do the individual Building
+AD4APgA+- Departments determine the date?
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- Jeff Smith
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- Remember also that the 1997 UBC is applicable in California
+AD4APgA+- only to permit applications filed after June 30, 1999.  Permits filed
+AD4APg-before
+AD4APgA+- that date can use the 1994 UBC which could result in lower design
forces.
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- Bob Bossi
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+-
+AD4APgA+- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAq-
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   admin+AEA-seaint.org and in the body of the message type
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   +ACI-join seaint+ACI- (no quotes). To Unsubscribe, send email
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   to admin+AEA-seaint.org and in the body of the message
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   type +ACI-leave seaint+ACI- (no quotes). For questions, send
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   email to seaint-ad+AEA-seaint.org. Remember, any email you
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
+AD4APgA+- +ACo-   site at: http://www.seaint.org
+AD4APgA+- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg-
[...]
+AD4APgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAq-
+AD4APgAq-   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
+AD4APgAq-   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
+AD4APgAq-   subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to
+AD4APgAq-   admin+AEA-seaint.org and in the body of the message type
+AD4APgAq-   +ACI-join seaint+ACI- (no quotes). To Unsubscribe, send email
+AD4APgAq-   to admin+AEA-seaint.org and in the body of the message
+AD4APgAq-   type +ACI-leave seaint+ACI- (no quotes). For questions, send
+AD4APgAq-   email to seaint-ad+AEA-seaint.org. Remember, any email you
+AD4APgAq-   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
+AD4APgAq-   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
+AD4APgAq-   site at: http://www.seaint.org
+AD4APgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg-
+AD4APg-
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4AKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAq-
+AD4AKg-   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
+AD4AKg-   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
+AD4AKg-   subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to
+AD4AKg-   admin+AEA-seaint.org and in the body of the message type
+AD4AKg-   +ACI-join seaint+ACI- (no quotes). To Unsubscribe, send email
+AD4AKg-   to admin+AEA-seaint.org and in the body of the message
+AD4AKg-   type +ACI-leave seaint+ACI- (no quotes). For questions, send
+AD4AKg-   email to seaint-ad+AEA-seaint.org. Remember, any email you
+AD4AKg-   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
+AD4AKg-   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
+AD4AKg-   site at: http://www.seaint.org
+AD4AKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg-