3x alternatives

While we're all on the topic of plywood diaphragms, shearwalls, etc., I
have another somewhat related issue that I don't think I've seen on the
list.

Does anyone out there have an alternative to 3x studs and plates for
plywood shearwalls that is required when nailing gets heavy.  Where I'm
from 3x studs are extremely expensive.  Some have gone to a laminated
members, but expense is still high.  What about built-up members?
Multiple studs glued and nailed?  A tee section with with a flat 2x
member at the plywood face with a 2x ripped behind to make the "tee"?

Any ideas, or are we stuck?

Thanks,

Joseph R. Grill, P.E.