FLAT SLAB REINFORCEMENT REQUIREMENT

I have a question about the '97 UBC requiring that positive moment
reinforcement be continuous in all column strips (bottom bars).  The '94
UBC allowed 50% of the bars to be cut-off, the '97 does not.  I looked
it up in ACI 318-95 and found figure 13.3.8 to show the same thing as
the '97 UBC.  The reasoning behind this was to provide a way for the
load to redistribute to adjacent columns in the case of a single
punching shear failure.  So I take this as saying I need to continue my
bottom bars through regardless of the different span lengths?  This
seems too conservative...?

Any help or clarification would be appreciated.

David Taquino, EIT
Libby Engineers, Inc.
San Diego, CA