Re: Seismic Upgrade ..... Appeal to those who created the code

I realize it is difficult to "characterize" discontent without stepping on toes, ....
And Mr. Greenlaw wrote back:
Yes, Barry, I intentionally left out everything that would allow for anyone
to weigh the facts ....My intent was to be provocative. I want readers to consider what MAY be happening, and to consider whether they care about it, and whether to be alert to the possibility of like occurrences, from their own perspective. I want to seed doubts, but not raise and harvest them.
Mr. Greenlaw:  what do you believe?  Why are you pitting the profession against those who are giving of their time to work on the committees and are trying to improve the situation?  Although I appreciate the eloquence of your prose and rhetoric, seems to me that your comments are deliberately inciting toward dissentation, rather than assisting in strengthening and simplifying the codes so that anyone who needs to, can understand and utilize them for the best possible effect and life safety in their home needs.  It seems that your comments are pointed toward divisiveness within the profession--and very scathing towards those who are earnestly seeking compromise and understanding.

Now, as far as I can tell (from a non-engineering standpoint), the codes are pretty confusing--and from what I hear from SEs who profess knowledge of structural design and construction practices (yourself included), the current codes and proposed codes are not straight forward legislation nor do they adequately address issues of life safety.

What do you think should be done to clarify the situation?  What suggestions do you have for improving the code approval process?  How do you propose effecting a compromise?  I am sure that I am not the only one interested in your ideas.

Sincerely,
audra ranous, CEM