Re: Minimum Reinforcement Ratio for Footings

"John E. Alcaras" wrote:

> What is the minimum reinforcement ratio for footings?
> ACI318-1989 seems not too clear regarding this one but in ACI318-1995
> says "For structural slabs and footings , ......" (Clause 10.5.4).
>
> Any thoughts fellow structural engineers?..
>
> Thanks
> John E. Alcaras
> Senior Structural Engineer
> Maunsell Philippines, Inc.
> 8/F JAKA 6780 Ayala Avenue,
> Makati City 1200
> Philippines

I thought that this was confusing in the 1989 ACI but seems clear to me
that in ACI 95, the minimum reinforcement is the same as that of slabs.
However, I personally feel uncomfortable using 0.0018 reinforcement in
key structural elements such as footings. So I usually put at least 1.33
times the reinforcement required by analysis if it is less than the
minimum required for flexural members (ACI 10.5.3)

Moni Serhal