Re: Seismic design of pole building

MarK:

I don't have answers to your seismic questions, but I would suggest that
you warn your client that their building may vibrate during moderately high
winds.  Pole structures seem to do that.

Check out the Harbor House at Pete's Harbor in Redwood City on a blustery
day.

Also, was a soil report prepared for this site?  This will also affect the
performance of the pole system.  Some geotechs provide two parameters for
passive pressures; one for minimal displacement at the ground level and one
for 1/2" movement at ground level.

Neil Moore, S.E.
Neil Moore & Associates

At 12:27 AM 5/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I am designing a pole building in northern California (Mendocino
>county, near Hwy 101).  The poles are already in place, but the client
>would like me to design the structural system for gravity loads and
>lateral loads.
HELP!!