From: DougSnow(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:DougSnow(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 1999 9:12 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Cylindrical domes

Hello all,

I have been asked to design a concrete cylindrical dome.  The radius is 35
feet and the apex is 5 feet below grade (A tunnel).  We based our
preliminary
analysis on a vertical load that increased as the depth of soil increased
and
a lateral component as an equivalent fluid.  This, of course, created large
stresses for which we designed the concrete thickness and reinforcing.  The
developer says that our results are way too high because we are not
considering the "arching effect" of the soil.  The soils engineer says that
this effect has been documented but that based on the fact that the soil
over
the structure is fill as opposed to native soil and the fill will be
relatively granular in addition to the effects from vehicular traffic, the
arching effect is minimal. I have spoken with an engineer that says that
he's
got a computer program that can analyze this condition and it's been done a
lot.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is this science or more
documented proof that you can write a computer program to say anything you
want to say?

Thanks in advance.

Doug Snow
Snow and Associates