Re: Seismic Upgrade ..... Appeal to those who created the code

In a message dated 5/4/99 11:23:56 PM EST, raranous(--nospam--at)pacbell.net writes:

<<  Now, as far as I can tell (from a non-engineering standpoint), the codes
are pretty confusing--and from what I hear from SEs who profess knowledge of
structural design  and construction practices (yourself included), the
current codes and proposed  codes are not straight forward legislation nor do
they adequately address issues of life safety.  >>

Assuming that we will not be able change the direction in which code
development "is going" and was going for the past 50 years because the
momentum of the machinery (w/ steadily increasing acceleration, mass and
velocity) influencing its movement is now too great to alter the course of
action, the following statement by Philip K. Howard, the best-selling author
on regulatory laws, in *The Death of Common Sense*, seems to be appropriate:

"Our regulatory system has become an instruction manual. Detailed rule after
detailed rule addresses every eventuality, or at least every situation
lawmakers and bureaucrats can think of". Mr. Howard asks: "Is it a
coincidence that almost every encounter with government (or similar organized
entity) is an exercise in frustration?"

Since the direction in which the code is developing has been established long
time ago without a realistic possibility of any change, we might as well ask
ourselves a question: "Is this direction sustainable for a longer period of
time - such as for the next generation? .... and if not, do we care?"