Fortran Compiler Versions

Adolfo,

The important thing is to determine what FORTRAN *standard* they are talking
about.  The current FORTRAN standard is FORTRAN 90; the previous FORTRAN was
FORTRAN 77.  I'm surprised that you were given compatibility information
based on brand names, not based on a standard.  I would question them on
that point and find out if there are specific additions in these companies'
FORTRAN's that is required.  If you are buying the compiled version of the
software (and are getting all the associated libraries, etc., necessary), and
not the source code, the compiler is not important.  If you are also getting
the source code, then. unless written using a standard FORTRAN, you will need
the specific FORTRAN compiler for which the program was written to run or
rerun the source code.

I have Lahey FORTRAN 77, previously used Lahey Personal FORTRAN (FORTRAN 66)
and have not upgraded to FORTRAN 90 yet.  Check Lahey's web site,
www.lahey.com for information on their products.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Adolfo Galvez wrote:

Our Company is buying some tailor made structural software.

The vendor asks:
"We can deliver a PC NT 4.0 version compiled using a Digital Fortran or
Lahey Fortran compiler (please specify which)."

Any one could explain the difference between the mentioned Fortran versions?
Our Hardware is a IBM Intellistation Z-pro, Pentium III Xeon 500 MHz
processor, 512 K Cache.

Thank you

Adolfo Galvez