Liability - Less than minimum code standard

________________
Dennis S. Wish PE
seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com

An interesting conversation ensued this morning when I discussed the new wood
frame requirements in the 97UBC with an engineer in my area who is adamantly
against some of the provisions.
It is our belief that the engineers in our area which services over 100,000
people would agree with our position as well as those discussed on the SEAINT
List. My friend explained to me that this can be discussed with the local
building officials in order to pass local ordinances that adopt a lesser
standard for design. This would require seeking local city council approvals
which might be easier than working in a larger municipality such as Los
Angeles.
How liable would we professionals be to adopt a measure that is less than
that indicated in the published code? Would this liability extend to the
local building official and city if the local city council adopted the
measure?

What steps would we need to plead our case and is this a valid way to attack
those provisions in the code that we feel are excessive while working with
SEA and ICBO to revise them in future code publications.

Does the SEAOSC board and the SEAOC board (or BORPEL) perceive the existing
noncompliance by the professional community as a potential liability and are
they willing to address this issue publicly to help alleviate the potential
liability leading to a rise of frivolous law suits?

Dennis S. Wish PE