Faulty Premise

Because it assumes that this is a universal experience.

Some examples.

1) The assumption is that "all S.E.s consider they are underpaid." This
isn't true if you can get some who don't consider it to be so (beyond the
obvious fact that EVERYONE to some degree wishes they made more money).

2) The assumption is that there is job dissatisfaction among S.E.s accruing
for that reason. I don't think that is a reliable assumption at all.

While it may be true that some are dissatisfied for a variety of reasons,
including the pay issue, the fact is that there are still quite a few who
are willing nonetheless to do the job.

If pay was the ONLY issue in choosing a means of livelihood, then every
person who was minimally qualified would be a physician, attorney, or test
pilot.

This isn't the case, precisely because salary and compensation are but one
aspect of one's choice of careers. That's as it should be particularly in a
free market.

I have no dissatisfaction with my career, save one: I wish that it were
possible to DO MORE of the things that I haven't gotten to do in it. I wish
I could design a high-rise building, or a cable-stayed bridge. I wish I
could do a structural analysis of some complex structure, including a
seismic analysis. I wish I could do TEN MORE architecturally-interesting
buildings (I've done a handful).

I haven't done any of these things simply because I have chosen other areas
within the profession.

But when I consider what I HAVE done, I have to say I'm pretty satisfied,
even if I have never achieved great heights in the profession.

Make more money? Sure, that'd be great. But if I continue on my current
track, I'll retire with sufficient income to pursue those interests that
will occupy the evening of my life.

What more can you really ask? Remember: It isn't how much you MAKE, anyway,
but how much you KEEP.