Airport Taxiway Bridges

Bill,

I've located some web sites that might be of assistance to you.

www.asc.faa.gov/nlaweb/index.html      -> This is FAA's new large aircraft
web site.  There is an "issues" publication at www.asc.faa.gov/nlaweb/nla.htm.

www.faa.gov/arp/5360-13.pdf      ->  Planning and Design Manual.  4+ MB, so
it must be more than the page and a half you have.

www.faa.gov/arp/arphome.htm      ->  Link to Airport Design Division

I haven't been able to find any info on the Antonov 124 (AN-124) other than a
picture of one on Aviation Week's web site (www.aviationweek.com).

You might try a search using Dogpile and search for '' "antonov 124" ruslan''
with the "'s around "antonov 124".

I think that PCA put out something many years ago about taxiway/runway
bridges, but it has to be obsolete now.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E. (Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Polhemus wrote:

. > To my surprise, we've not been able to get much information about design
. > of these.

. > FAA has a "circular" that devotes about 1 1/2 pages to some general
. > information.

. > In particular, we've got to worry about "Group VI Aircraft," and the

. > I am inclined to believe that using the AASHTO code is sort of
. > counterproductive since many of the assumptions made therein (esp. load
. > factors) aren't really applicable for a taxiway bridge.

. > Also, I have tried in vain to find information on the wheel loading
. > pattern for the Antonov 124 "Ruslan" cargo aircraft, which will be, I
. > believe, the "big enchilada" governing design of our bridge.

. > Anyone got any references for me?

. > Thanks.