Structural Engineering Compensation

I'm back on my soapbox, but only briefly.

Since posting my thoughts on structural engineering compensation earlier
this week, I have started receiving increasingly mean-spirited private
emails from Steve Strapac.  He, and probably some others, have apparently
missed the main theme of my previous post.  Here is a very brief summary of
my primary point, presented in a different way.

To bastardize a quote from President Kennedy:

"Ask not what your profession pays you, but ask what your contribution is to
your profession".

If you feel that you are underpaid, take a few moments and do an honest
self-evaluation.  What is your contribution the profession, and to society?
Value is like interest, it is earned.  What level of value have you earned?
My guess is that your true value will be very close to your compensation,
because the latter usually tracks the former.  If you don't like the latter,
focus on improving the former!

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas