Re: Ron Gallagher's Comments in SEAOC Plan Review

Lynn,
I appreciate your comments and maybe I was harsh on Mr. Gallagher. However,
he is in a position of "power" as the Chair of the Seismology Committee and
has chosen to congradulate himself to all of the members of SEAOC in the
latest issue of Plan Review.
Over the last several months our list has felt powerless to address the
issues that plauge us (including you considering your comments regarding
rigid diaphragm analysis) which originated in the local Seismology Committees
and had been compiled and present for publication by the State Committee
under the Chair of this gentlemen.
Yet, he has failed to address the concerns of this professional community
while leaving us open to problems that further the gap between prescriptive
methods and engineers solutions. Just so we are clear, I am not against a
prescriptive method as long as it is equivalent to a minimum engineered
solution or more.
What set me off was the tone of his comments in light of our growing
frustration. Just possibly the dust that my comments stir up will be
sufficient to at least open a few eyes and ears that might otherwise ignore
the needs of the members of SEAOC.

Today is a new day and I apologize for what appears as an attack - it was
meant as a repremand more than a personal attack. Still, the wrong needs to
be made correct and it must be done at his level.

Respectfully,
Dennis