Re: Code created Malpractice opportunity

> [...]
> windows after last weeks earthquake. Combined with the aggravation that they
> experienced with the general contractor who built their home, these owners no
> longer feel safe in their home.
>
> For whatever reason, their anger escalates and results in a suit filed
> against everyone -- the architect, engineer and the contractor. They intend
> to collect for damages, actual or perceived.  The home owners are convinced
> that the home is structurally deficient and have decided that they want out
> of their obligation and into a new home at the expense of the teams liability
> coverage.
>
> Is this such an unusual story? After the Northridge earthquake, many of us
> represented unreasonable homeowners as well as unreasonable insurance
> adjusters. Engineers are sued as Cross-complaitants all the time, but in each
> case the lawyer is required to hire a professional engineer to substantiate
> the validity of the claim.
>
> "Existing law requires attorneys for the plaintiff or cross-complaintant, in
> malpractice actions involving architects, professional engineers, or land
> surveyors, to file a certificate declaring the attorney has consulted and
> received an expert opinion from a licensed architect, professional engineer
> or land surveyor," (from pg. 10 of the April 1999 SEAOC Plan Review).
>
> After intense review, the hired expert finds no evidence of structural
> defects. However the expert feels obligated to disclose anything that he is
> aware of above and beyond the intent of the claim. As was explained to me by
> an engineer who specializes in this work, there is an ethical responsibility
> (and a protection from the experts own liability) to disclose to the attorney
> any and all deficiencies that the engineer is aware of. The expert believes
> that the engineer of record failed to comply with the provisions of the '94
> UBC section 1628.5. This section requires "distribution of shear to the
> various elements of the vertical lateral-force-resisting system in proportion
> to their rigidities, considering the rigidity of the diaphragm." AND, as
> added into the 1994 code "Diaphragms shall be considered flexible for the
> purposes of distribution of story shear and torsional moment when the maximum
> lateral deformation of the diaphragm is more than two times the average story
> drift of the associated story..."
>
> A few hours of engineering work (paid by the attorney who may have already
> used this ploy on numerous occasions) verifies that the diaphragm (as is
> typical with most all small residential type structures) should have been
> designed as rigid and the resulting torsional shears added into the resisting
> shearwalls.
>
> Therefore, the expert determines that the structure is noncompliant to
> minimum code requirements and the attorney amends his suit addressing the
> design deficiencies as a basis to attack the engineers liability insurance.

You are neglecting some important legal requirements. Primary of
which is the doctrine of causation. For example, typical
instructions to a jury would be something like the following:

A plaintiff who was injured as a proximate result of some negligent
conduct on the part of a defendant is entitled to recover
compensation for such injury from that defendant. Thus, the plaintiff
is entitled to a verdict in this case if you find: 1. That the defendant
was negligent, and the such negligence was a proximate cause of
the injury to the plaintiff.

Thus, even if your hypothetical engineer failed to use due care,
there is no negligence liability unless that failure caused the injury.

To help alleviate the panic that the sky is falling, consider yourself
to be the plaintiff's engineer who is faced with the task of proving to
the jury that the failure to consider the diaphragm as rigid and
instead considering it as flexible caused the damage the plaintiff is
complaining of.

I do not mean to imply that the code does not present an issue of
concern. Based upon your scenario, I would expect the plaintiff's
attorney would base the claim on the doctrine of negligence per se,
which essentially states that the duty of due care is violated if a
safety statute is violated.  However, even under negligence per se
causation is required.

> Remember that there are no deficiencies noted in the home and this section of
> the code, although required as a minimum provision, was not enforced by local
> building officials and was not the standard of practice by the majority of
> the professional community. Still, the engineers design represents a less
> than minimum standard published by the code. He is, therefore, liable for his
> actions.

Under your senerio, liability would appear to be limited to breach of
warranty or contract. That is the engineer failed to do what he
promised to do.  Malpractice is a tort or negligence claim not a
contract claim.