Re: plan check under 97 code

 I'd like to add another item not mentioned previously which is the lack of
training/experience in the '97 code for of most of the plan checkers who will
be reviewing our plans.  As of now Los Angeles has held several training
sessions and some of the plan checkers have attended the ICBO seminars, but
other municipalities have not done even that much.  Is this enough training?
I'm not looking for anyone to look over my work, but I also do not want my
work to be someone else's training ground.
 After 22 years of being in this business and countless hours of seminars and
studying the code I still feel unsure.  At least when I got my first job I
worked under someone's supervision and guidance.  This time I'm all alone.
  Assuming for the moment that we have a simple two story wood structure,
plans and calculations are provided to comply with "all" the provisions of
the '97 code, what plan checker will have enough experience and training the
first 6-12 months to check these plans and not inundate us with a series of
frivolous corrections.  It's not that I am picking on plan checkers; After
reviewing volume 1 of the Seismic Design Manual, I realized that this code is
even more confusing than I had previously believed and it makes even less
sense.  Unfortunately right now my biggest problem is understanding and
trying to decipher this code.

Lastly I'd like to find out from those of you who do mostly wood structures,
what was the reaction you got form your clients when you told them that your
fees may/will be higher for projects falling under the new code.  I know my
workload will go up but I want to see if I can raise my fees accordingly.
Several engineers I talked to had the same response from their long time
clients:  We'll get back to you!

Andrew Vidikan P.E.