Re: Airport Taxiway Bridges

In a message dated 5/6/1999 2:27:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
polhemus(--nospam--at)insync.net writes:

<< I am inclined to believe that using the AASHTO code is sort of
 counterproductive since many of the assumptions made therein (esp. load
 factors) aren't really applicable for a taxiway bridge.

 Also, I have tried in vain to find information on the wheel loading pattern
 for the Antonov 124 "Ruslan" cargo aircraft, which will be, I believe, the
 "big enchilada" governing design of our bridge. >>

************

Bill:

In FAA AC 150/5300-13 (change 5) chapter 7 is titled Runway and Taxiway
Bridges.

It is my understanding the antonov 124 is considered heavy lift equipment not
typically rated or approved for flight in US domestic airports.  My
recollection is the governing wheel loads most severe on the pavements is the
727-100.  The larger aircraft have more tires and spread the load more.
There might be stuff in the NLA report (Microsoft Word - NLAFINALREPORT.doc)
DOT/ FAA/ AR- 97/ 26 Impact of New Large Aircraft Office of Aviation Research
on Airport Design Washington, D. C. 20591 March 1998 Final Report This
document is available to the U. S. public ...
http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/ar97-26.pdf - size 3420.0K
+"taxiway bridge": 2

http://www.west.net/~brianl/ruslan.htm shows pictures and data on the Anatov
124 from the Goleta Air and space museum
http://www.west.net/~brianl/ruslan.htm shows data on the Anatov 124 - snipped
as follows:
The 24-wheel landing gear system (two nose and ten main wheel bogies, five
per side, each with two wheels) enables the aircraft to operate from
unprepared fields, hard packed snow, and ice-covered swampland. It also has a
"kneeling" capability, but is not nearly as advanced as the C-5's 28-wheel
system. On 26 July 1985, the An-124 set 21 official records by lifting a
payload of 377,473 lbs (171,219kg) to an altitude of 35,269 ft (10,750m).
<endsnip>

good luck

Ron Fong
Fremont,  CA