RE: Salary Survey

I've been staying out of this thread for various reasons, but now I need to
respond.

I am a structural engineer working for an in-house engineering office of a
large chemical manufacturer.  Your comment that I have to worry about
downsizing is actually quite humorous.  We have hired many engineers from
private consulting firms primarily because we provided a much more secure
working environment.  couple that with the need at a large corporation to
pay all engineers, regardless of specialty, similar rates and our excellent
benefits package (do you get 21 days of vacation a year?), I can understand
why some engineers choose to work for industry.

now, you could argue that we don't do as "sexy" work as say a bridge builder
or a skyscraper engineer.  However, my structural skills have been tested on
how to support items that weigh 500,000 lbs. in an EQ zone.  or how do I
support a 200 ft. tall distillation column in a heavy wind zone.  As I
explain to potential recruits (yes, I get to go out and recruit at my alma
mater for all disciplines of engineers), the design constraints in
industrial work are far greater than that in the commercial sector.  I won't
go into as much detail as why I feel that way - suffice it to say it.

Lastly, since I do work for an industry where my work is viewed as a cost
center, not a cost generator, the ability to turn a profit off of our
manufactured products ensures that I am working with the latest IT tools.
As long as the investment in IT means that we can build plants quicker and
cheaper, we buy it.  We'll get the profit from increased sales, not
increased billings.

So, before you start to slam the other side of the fence, take a peek.  The
grass isn't greener over here, but it sure isn't brown either.