RE: Rigid vs Flexible Diaphragms - Some Comm

Roger Turk wrote:

"It seems to me that the definition of what constitutes a rigid and flexible
diaphragm is reversed.  It seems to me that a flexible diaphragm would be one
whose "... maximum lateral deflection is *less* than ?? times the average
story drift ... ."  (Actually, why is it even related to story drift?)"

I think the tie between the rigid/flexible diaphragm and the story drift is that, if you think of the diaphragm as a deep beam supported on lateral shearwalls, the deflection at midspan compared to the story drift (that is, how much the supports move) is a good parameter to see if the diaphragm is rigid or not.  Just a thought.

Rodrigo Lema.