Re: Salary Survey

Rarely do I agree with Bill P.:>) but I have to in this respect. I am
appauled by our "ethical" restraint to discuss or set a reasonable fee for
our services upon an industry standard.
The insurance industry does this by limiting the amount a doctor will be
reimbursed or paid by the insurance industry based upon an average or
reasonable fee for services.
Tell me how much retail items of the same time vary from store to store - is
it the real profit margin or an inflated price establish by what the market
will bear.
Lawyers work on hourly rates that are very much the same when considering
firms of equivalent size and services.
Have you checked the cost of automobiles today. Funny how close in price each
competing model is. I don't believe it is based upon an established
percentage of profit - no, especially when Mercedes admits that Chrysler
makes more profit on their SUV's than Mercedes does on their most expensive
car in the line.

We live in a society which sets prices based upon at least one leader daring
enough to set the fee. Why should engineers be any different. Once the fee's
are established, the public can only set us up to compete on services and
quality of work.

Dennis S. Wish PE