Re: light gage metal systems

I think the originator of the post needs to understand that Light Gauge Steel
Stud framing is a relativly new animal in bearing wall construction for
multi-story structures. This is based, mostly, upon the lack of standards
from one steel company to the next. However, this is changing quickly as
associations are starting which are begining to standardize on section
properties and in the process use the services of groups like LGSEA to test
and develope design criteria for the materials.

As of this date, the UBC only addresses lateral restraint of the LGS system
and basically does not cover gravity load member design. The present
methodologies for gravity load members are cumbersome and difficult to follow
- however there are HUD standards which can be used - prescriptive standards,
but I am not sure if they are adequate for three story structures.

I suggest you consider a membership in LGSEA which can help lead you in the
right direction. Organizations like the LGSEA are worthwhile because they are
determined to create standards in an industry specifically for Light Gauge
Steel. Contact Larry Williams at LGSEA(--nospam--at)aol.com for more information and visit
their website on www.lgsea.com

Sincerely,
Dennis S. Wish PE