Built-up Columns

	My question concerns columns built-up out of two steel shapes.
AISC-ASD Section E4 states that the spacing between connections for the
members shall be such that their individual l/r ratios do not exceed 3/4
governing ratio of the built-up member as a whole.
	Now to my question, what if you space the connections for the
individual members such that the l/r are greater then the actual kl/r of the
built-up member but you then base the strength of the built-up member so that
the allowable load is based on a kl/r where the 3/4 relationship is not
violated?  Any Comments or insights?

-Bill King, EIT