Re: Rigid Diaphragm Analysis

Ralph,
It is my understanding from speaking to a former member of the Seismology
Committee that residential structures were never the focus of these
guidelines and that most who started in this committee years ago would never
consider plywood diaphgams in residental construction as rigid.

I also have a promise from one individual that he will discuss it with
Seismology members and, hopefully, have some good news for us before the
adoption of the '97 code in July.

Intense discussion is good and if this individual can accomplish his
suggeston, I would believe that we members of this list have been heard and
our discussions were considered valid and informative. This is important in
linking our multitude of voices to those who can make change by giving them
valid arguments to support our opinions.

I had a chance to reflect and though that I sent my opinions to SEAOC alone,
I would probably not be considered sufficient to institute change or even
change the opinion of a group of members. However, as a concerted effort of
many engineers and with SEAOC members lurkng in the background - the members
are being heard.

One other important issue. Members of SEA are not the only people in the
world affected by these codes. What is important is that professional
engineers who use these codes - regardless of affiliation, are being counted
and this adds to our credibility. Because of this, I applaud all of you who
have been so adament in your position on these topics. Keep up the good work
because we are making progress.

I will keep you posted as to what I hear, but for now - I have promised that
diplomacy will be an important action that may grease the gears of progress.

Dennis Wish PE

In a message dated 5/9/99 9:15:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com