RE: Built-up Columns

Unless I misunderstand your question, it sounds like you are proposing to
use the AISC Specification provisions, which are predicated upon the 3/4
relationship being satisfied, even though it isn't. The intent in the
Specification, as I understand it, is to wind up with a built-up member
that actual behaves as a built-up member. So the further away from the 3/4
relationship you get, the further you are getting away from having
something you can call a built-up member. Sorry for all the semi-circular
reasoning in this.

Charlie