RE: Footing Soil Design Momemt

I don't think that you will reduce the moment. Doing this would produce an
underdesigned section or reinforcements. Maybe, what you are referring to is
that the axial load and the corresponding moment would result in an
eccentricity ,"e" or : e :=(M/P). This "e" would then be used  to determine
the size of the footing depending on how you want the footing to act.

I know there are different ways to design a footing. You may want to try out
some books by Nilson (Design of Reinforced Concrete) or Bowles (Design of
Foundation).