RE: Built-up Columns

An additional aspect of this problem is to consider the potential of beam-column behavior, resulting from incidental eccentricity of the load, p-delta effects or other moments that may be applied to the member. In this case the compression-side sub-members may require an even lower kl/r than the built-up column criteria specifies.
Steve Smith, PE,SE
Systems Stress