Re: 30,000 foot Skyscraper.. .......!!!!!!

I did the same calculation.  If you step the structure enough times, you
have a better chance with unit stresses.  Spread the load far enough and
you have a chance.  Look at the Empire State Building; you can bet (with
the value of the rental space) they didn't step the building because of
aesthetics.

Someone earlier suggested 75 feet of drift.  If you assume a cantilever and
an allowable deflection of l/360, you get 167 feet.  Not to worry tho; I'd
die of heart failure long before the building swayed that far.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

----------
> From: Paul Meyer <PMeyer(--nospam--at)HASimons.com>
> To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
> Subject: RE: 30,000 foot   Skyscraper..  .......!!!!!!
> Date: Tuesday, May 11, 1999 3:55 PM
>
> 10 km high (ballpark)
> stress due to self-weight of steel column that high - 77. 0 kN/m3 x
10,000 m
> = 770 MPa.
> So, for a building with 50% net column area at ground floor, (yeah
right...)
> you need a steel yield strength of about 1700 MPa.
>
> We're talking 4340 steel, heat treated and everything, and 50% coverage
at
> ground level.
>
> Any other thoughts?  anti-gravity machine?
>
> Subject: Re: 30,000 foot Skyscraper.. .......!!!!!!
>

> chances are, it may collapse under its own weight.
>
> errm, well it is getting late *yawn*.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrew
> On Mon, 10 May 1999 Rbengrguy(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
> > Attention fellow Structural Engineers.
> >
> > This message is just in from the WORLD's Tallest Building website
manager.

> > Maybe you have some thoughts on trying to build a 30,000 foot
skyscraper!!