Re: Seismic Upgrade ..... Appeal to those who created the code

As a further note, to Ali's excellent explanation below-

The Building Seismic Safety Council's Technical Subcommittee 2 is in the
process of reviewing an introduction into the 2000 NEHRP Provisions of a
Simplified Design Procedure.  This will be somewhat similar to that
contained in the 1997 UBC.  Major points are:

1- Base shear is determined by a somewhat simpler, but a little bit more
conservative formula.

2- Vertical shear distribution is rectangular rather than inverse
triangular

3- Deflections need not be checked

4- (most of interest) Structural use panel diaphragms may be considered as
flexible, for purposes of analysis.

These provisions will be applicable to nearly all residential construction.
While they will not "officially" take effect for a few years, it may help
the "Standard of Care" issue to be able to point out that it was
specfically included in the resource document recommended for future
editions of the IBC. Also - the note Ali suggested on the design example,
should help as well.

Sadre(--nospam--at)aol.com on 05/11/99 10:59:16 PM