Re: Ron Gallagher's Comments in SEAOC Plan Review

From: Baltar, Joseph P SPK <JBaltar(--nospam--at)spk.usace.army.mil>
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org' <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Monday, May 10, 1999 8:52 AM
Subject: RE: Ron Gallagher's Comments in SEAOC Plan Review

>I'd like to ask our Canadian readers if they have any consideration for
>flexible vs. rigid diaphragm action in their building
>codes..................J. Baltar P. E.

I can't find anything as prescriptive as the US Codes.  That's not to say
there is no consideration.  The BC Building Code and the NBC of Canada give
prescription for how the structure must perform at limit states.  Engineers
have to judge what model to use for their analyses and check the
assumptions.  There are, of course preferences and the debate is alive here
as well.

I am small potatoes and there are other Canadian engineers on this list.
They can probably comment better than I.

Thor Tandy  P.Eng  MCSCE
Victoria BC
Canada
vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com