Re: Construction Joints

If "construction methodology" affects the integrity or strength of the
structure, then the engineer needs to be involved and not just let it up
to the contractor. Your documents should clearly state where you will
allow construction joints to be and then enforce it. I also suggest that
you have a detail on your drawings, showing the required key size,
reinforcing, location, etc.

I would not allow a construction joint at the face of the column, for
the reasons you stated, unless it was a minor connection that was
difficult to construct and I could prove that I could safely transfer
the shear for all loading conditions.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.