Re: PRECAST PRESTRESSED SLAB FOR BLAST RESITANT BUILDING

Arturo,

You will have to be more specific if you want a better answer but there are
some general statements that can be made.  If these planks are part of the
lateral load resistance (diaphragm) mechanism for the building, then the
design of inter-panel connections and especially the panel/wall connections
gets tricky.  You also have to consider the rebound effect combined with
the negative phase of the blast load which will tend to lift the planks off
the supports and create negative moment at midspan so the prestressing
should be designed according - to prevent flexural failure for the upward
response or a slight ductile response for the initial downward loading.  In
general, the most common 'weak link' that I've observed in existing
buildings with precast concrete plank roof systems subjected to blast
Resistant Buildings in Petrochemical Facilities" by ASCE, 1997 for some
more information.

Walter Sawruk
EQE International, Inc.
Shillington, PA