Re: fem & caissons

I believe that both of you may be somewhat off-track insofar as the
modeling for this type of analysis.  Laterally loaded piles and caissons
behave in a nonlinear response, mostly governed by the soil effective
modulus which is dependent on displacement.  This affects the resulting net
deflection, point of inflection, and moments in the pile/caisson.  You
should probably consult with a geotechnical engineer on this problem;
specialized software has already been developed for this application, but
it requires both geotechnical expertise input and structural definition of
the cracking and plastic moment capacities of the pile/caisson.  This is a
very much a procedure in pushover analysis, not elastic analysis.

Gary Chock

At 11:21 AM 5/13/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I haven't used Risa 3d, but piles can be modeled using horiz springs spaced
>at say 1ft vertically with the spring stiff based on the the soil mod the
>geotech gives you (or should give you).
>
>Lanny J. Flynn, P.E., S.E.

Martin, Bravo, & Chock, Inc.
1132 Bishop Street, Suite 1550
Honolulu, HI   96813
808-521-4513 (voice)
808-531-4508 (fax)
engineers(--nospam--at)martinbravochock.com