RE: building on elevated ground

Alex-
If I understand you correctly, the distance between the edge of the footing
and the retaining wall is about 17 feet and the bottom of the new footing is
about 2 feet above the road level.  Generally, for a continuous footing, if
you drop a line from the edge of the footing at somewhere between a 1H:1V
and 2H:1V (depending on the type of soil) and it lies below the level of the
grade on the low side of the retaining wall, you will have little, if any,
effect on the wall.  At 5H:1V as I interpret your situation, it would not
seem to be a concern.  For Isolated spread footings, the load will also
spread laterally, making it even less critical.

I would be more concerned about bearing on a shallow thickness of soil
between the old and new footing as it seems your contractor is proposing
(i.e.,  5.5 ft below grade plus 16" = 4'-2" below grade, proposed bottom of
new footing = 3'-0" below grades, depth of intervening soil = 4'-2" minus
3'-0" =1'2").  Sounds like some corners are being cut to me.

Bill Cain, SE
Oakland, CA