Re: Top 6 Reasons[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: Re: Top 6 Reasons
- From: raranous(--nospam--at)pacbell.net
- Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 11:32:40 -0700
The top 6 reasons why ppl may find some jokes offensive:
1. It hits too close to home--if we 'identify' with a lack or perceived shortcoming, of course, we don't think it's funny;
2. We may not 'get it'--in which case, again we perceive a shortcoming within ourselves--ergo, not funny;
3. We may have a singular sense of humor which precludes appreciation of any deviant humors that do not conform to our ideas of 'funny';
4. We may be having a 'bad hair' day, or week, or month--in which case, nothing is funny;
5. The 'humorous' situation depicted could, in itself, be 'hurtful'--or depict hurtful situations (i.e., ppl's stupidities resulting in serious accidents portrayed as 'funny') and we are focusing on the results (the hurt) and not the "joke"; and
6. Whenever we personalize a joke--to isolate a particular segment of the population--that group may well be offended to be singled out.
But, as Lynn writes, these 'jokes' are all over the place. The reader/listener always has a choice: walk away, delete, ignore--or, in my case, sometimes enjoy, sometimes ponder, and once in a while, edit for future use!
Q: why did audra ranous respond to this posting?
A: because she could! <ha ha ha?!!>
- Prev by Subject: Re: To Dennis Wish
- Next by Subject: Re: The Top Five Reasons Computers are Male
- Previous by thread: ANSYS v 5.4 Earthquake Analysis again...
- Next by thread: Slab on Grade Reference