RE: Live Load Distribution to Spandrel Girder vs. Effective Flange Width

From: Rodrigo Lema [mailto:rlema(--nospam--at)arnet.com.ar]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 1999 4:57 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Live Load Distribution to Spandrel Girder vs. Effective Flange Width

What I don't understand is: the girder you're concerned is parallel to the ribs, right?  And the ribs are in turn supported by a transverse girder, am I correct?

So, if the girders (the parallel) are monolithical with the slab and they are much stiffer than the ribs, then the joists (=ribs, right?) aren't even aware of the presence of the slab and the load.  That's why I wouldn't count on the joist carrying much of the load.

Rodrigo Lema.-

The girders are on the column lines, of course. The joists carry the floor load.

Or am I, in turn, missing something in your surmise?